Hire nanny from India


Recommended Posts

That would only be possible if the nanny has worked for you abroad for a year before you came here.

See http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-visitors-business/b-1-temporary-business-visitor


The following types of B-1 business visitors require employment authorization:

  • A personal or domestic servant who is accompanying or following to join an employer who seeks admission into, or is already in, the United States in a  B, E, F, H, I, J, L, or TN nonimmigrant classification.
  • A domestic servant of a U.S. citizen accompanying or following to join his or her U.S. citizen employer who has a permanent home or is stationed in a foreign country, and who is temporarily visiting  the United States.
  • An employee of a foreign airline engaged in international transportation of passengers freight, whose position with the foreign airline would otherwise entitle the employee to treaty trader nonimmigrant classification (E-1) and who is precluded from such classification solely because the employee is not a national of the country of the airline's nationality or because there is no treaty of commerce and navigation in effect between the United States and the country of the airline's nationality.

Note:  All applicants for a B-1 visa or admission as a B-1 business visitor as a personal or domestic servant described above must demonstrate the following:

  • You have a residence abroad in which you have no intention of abandoning
  • You have at least 1 year of experience as a personal or domestic servant
  • You have been employed abroad by your employer for at least 1 year prior to the employer’s admission into the United States or if you have been employed abroad by the employer for less than 1year, the employer must show that while abroad, he or she has regularly employed a domestic servant in the same capacity as that intended for your employment"

Also, see http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-typedomesticemployee.asp#accompanyniv


I suggest hiring a US nanny.

Link to comment

She is working from past 9 years. She is more like a family member. I came to US 7 years back for education and recently 2 years back i got married. Not sure if i can still bring her (  she doesnt work for my inlaws). I am on H1

She would have to have worked for you for at least a year while you were abroad.

If that's not the case, she can't get a visa to be a nanny for you in the US.

See the links and quotes I provided above.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.