Paying company for green card if quitting within a year

venkatdabri

Hello,

My company is filing for my green card and this is a proper American software company not a consulting firm. I have signed a paper saying that in case I quit within one year then I will pay them my GC costs. I really don't know how much this would come to. Is it legal to enforce something like this? How exactly are they going to enforce this document what if I just turn up to office and don't do any work?

Hello,
   My company is filing for my green card and this is a proper American software company not a consulting firm. I have signed a paper saying that in case I quit within one year then I will pay them my GC costs. I really don't know how much this would come to. Is it legal to enforce something like this? How exactly are they going to enforce this document what if I just turn up to office and don't do any work?

Generally speaking, employer cannot ask any immigration fee from the employee.

The company has to pay for the PERM labor certification and all costs, e.g., lawyer costs, associated with that. And they can not be reimbursed for these costs, neither directly nor indirectly.
For the other costs (I-140 and I-485), they can be reimbursed. And that can be enforced if a contract is signed before the process starts,
And provoking getting fired wouldn't help you, either. It would make it worse. Courts don't like such things.

Archived