F1 OPT to green card

RanjiniMN

Hi,

I am on F1 visa, completed MS in USA and working on OPT now. I did not get through lottery for H-1b this year and have applied for STEM extension. 

Is it possible for me to start process for green card while I am on F1 if my company is willing to? Will there be any problems? If so, what would they be?

My husband is on H-1b and his I-140 is approved. Would it be better option to switch to H4 EAD and then start the green card processing?

I would like to know pros and cons of both options. Can anyone please advise me on this?

What is the problem in starting the process on F1?  

I have read about issues with travelling while the process has started and I am on F1, but I do not plan to travel. 

I have read about F1 not being dual intent visa, but I have read about 90 day rule of change of intent too on this forum. There are opposing views. 

I would like not to switch to H4 if possible so that my visa won't get tied to my husband's. Hence I am trying to understand the problems or concerns with applying while on F1. 

What is the problem in starting the process on F1?  

I have read about issues with travelling while the process has started and I am on F1, but I do not plan to travel. 

I have read about F1 not being dual intent visa, but I have read about 90 day rule of change of intent too on this forum. There are opposing views. 

I would like not to switch to H4 if possible so that my visa won't get tied to my husband's. Hence I am trying to understand the problems or concerns with applying while on F1. 

1.A person on F1 is supposed to go back after the education, by filing GC it shows that you are not. So your PERM might be rejected.

2. F1 doesn't allow immigration intent, that means you cannot start GC process when a person is on F1.

Archived