Lost Green Card ( US Perm Resident Card) while in India


Recommended Posts

I lost my Green card on the day I was supposed to fly back to US after a month vacation.

My GC is valid till 2021.  I understand I need to appear at US Embassy in New Delhi to get the transportation letter but that itself doesnt guarantee rentry into the United states.

I am wondering what else I need to do to in order to reenter and join my family who left as scheduled.


I have a active employment in US , I have paystubs , W4 and mortage statements along with old emirates itinerary ( no boarding pass), and new flight bookings, assuming I get the transportation letter before that.


Please advice upon getting the transportation letter what will happen at the port of entry. WOuld they allow me to go through or I have to wait and apply for I-90 at port of entry itself.


appreciate if you could clear my confusions and lessen my stress a bit.


Link to comment

As long as you have the police report and the transportation letter, you should be good.

With the transportation letter, you usually get deferred inspection, and then have to file an I-90 to get a replacement GC. That's not done at the airport.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.