Traveling to India through Dusseldorf Germany with expired Visa/ change of status

naveenreddy21

Helllo - I got a flight from  Chicago(ORD),USA  to Hyderabad (HYD) ,India with a stop over at Dusseldorf (DUS) for 4 hrs 50 mins.

I am an Indian citizen traveling from USA with an expired US VISA to India. So I would like to know whether I require an airport transit visa for this travel.

Here is my iterinary:

Chicago  to   Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf   to Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi to Hyderabad

I came to US on H4 and  changed my status to H1B and renewed the same. I got  an expired H4 visa on my passport, i got a new H1-B visa approval notice I797A, I am going to India to get my new H1-B visa stamped.

Can you please let me know if i need an airport transit visa to travel through Dusseldorf?
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yes you need transit visa to travel thru EU on expired US visa.

Hi TonyS

I just replied in another post on the same, that may be we don't need a transit visa to travel thru Germany as long as it is just one airport and there is no local travel.

German Missions site - has the below info. Can you please confirm if its otherwise??

Exceptions: Nationals from the above list are entitled to transit through the international transit zones without an airport transit visa:

1. If they hold a valid visa for the United States of America

2. If they return from the USA after having used the visa

Archived