(DWI-DUS) H1B Stamping in India soon, kindly help!

N200RWD

Hi MLF, firstly I must appreciate you guys for the kind of support and guidance provided for many in need, been following the forums for quite some time and now created an account as it's my turn to get some guidance from you.

So I had my brush with bad luck back in 2011. In april 2011 I drove my friend's car that had no insurance on it(unknowingly, ofcourse), got pulled over for failing to yield(I was new to this country and a car nut :\ ) and had Indian license(No US DL, gave driving test and got US DL the next day) got slapped with 3 charges :

1.FAIL RIGHT-OF-WAY/INTERSECTION - 90 days court supervision(DONE)

2.OPERATE UNINSURED MTR VEHICLE - 6 months court supervision(DONE)

3.UNLICENSED - Not guilty - dismissed as Indian license was later accepted in court

In Oct 2011, I was driving a rental car and got pulled over for speeding(85 on 65 :\ ), then the cop tells me my license was suspended in Sep and goes saying that I was supposed to carry SR-22 insurance for 3 yrs and I didn't have it, I just had insurance on the car(I don't know about it till then, probably missed a few mails from DMV while changing addresses) got slapped with 2 charges :

1. DRIVING ON SUSPENDED LICENSE - 9 months court supervision(DONE)

2. DRIVING 21-25 ABOVE SPEED LIMIT - Not guilty - dismissed

Three year SR-22 insurance mandate was completed, too.

That's it. All lessons learned and no more tickets till now. Visited India twice in last couple years on F1, no issues at port of entry.

Now i'm on H1B and while filling DS-160 I face this question:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?

Am I needed to answer yes/No to that? Am I looking for trouble at Consulate in India or port of entry? What are my chances for smooth H1B stamping approval?

Thanks a ton in advance for helping me out, MLF!

(Mods, kindly move this thread to appropriate location if this is inappropriate posting here)

Archived