I-551 stamp and home loan


Recommended Posts


My wife and I have not received our physical Green Cards, even though our case has been approved (another story, I have explained in another post).

Anyway, we both have I-551 stamps (90 days validity) in our passports. We are trying to buy a house and are running into issues with the bank (underwriter) refusing to recognize the I-551 stamp as proof of status and are requesting documents from USCIS.

Does the USCIS give out any status letters/documents (not to my knowledge) ? Anyone else with similar issues ?

Also, can the bank legally reject our loan due to the I-551 stamp ?

Link to comment

Not a good idea.

You can show them H1B or EAD if you have.

I know that many lenders do consider H1B valid for at least a year good enough status proof.

Originally posted by Alexandre:

Hi you want to fix that quickly?

Just say i'm citizen and show you social security and drive license that is it.

Link to comment

"Just say i'm citizen and show you social security and drive license that is it."

You get the prize for the worst idea ever. Saying you are a citizen and getting any state of federal benefit out of it (like an FHA loan) will get you deported and banned from this country FOREVER. I am not kidding. And no waivers are available for this violation.

P.S. Nobody asked me for any documents other than confirming my identity. Get a different lender, you have no time to waste on the ignorant.

Link to comment

Sorry guys it was bad Idea, please don't used, I know a lot of people who finance the house acting like that, Before start using the forum I totally believe the USCIS never goes over and check it.

But they may check on it, any way be careful, and thanks Belle and JoeF to advise me on it


Link to comment

DO NOT falsely claim to be a USC. That is a ground of deportability/bar to further immigration relief and just a really bad idea overall.

As mentioned, try another lender--or take it higher up to their legal department with some proof that the I-551 stamp is evidence of LPR status. Or, work to get that plastic card issued--they usually come quickly, but obviously something happened as most people don't need the stamp anymore.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.