Filling i-485 when on TN

naveedminhas

Hi there, any advice/guidance is very appreciated... I've searched the forums but couldn't find any definitive answers to the below:

I'm Canadian in the US on a TN (which doesn't expire til 6/2012), and will be married in Feb 2011 to my American fiance. I'm preparing the PR paperwork (I-485, I-310, I-765, etc.) but have these questions:

1) On page 2 (Part 3 section A) of the I-485 it asks for my Nonimmigrant Visa Number. I don't think I have this -- the TN is not technically a visa, and the only paperwork you receive for a TN is a stamped I-94, which only bears an "Admissions number," nothing else. Do I put "N/A" on the form?

2) Same goes for the "Consulate Where Visa was Issued" -- I could put the POE where my new I-94 was issued (O'Hare airport) but this seems wrong... ?

3) Finally, and this is a bit tricky: I have a 3-year TN, issued initially in 2009. I went on vacation to Asia recently and was reissued a new I-94 at the airport when I re-entered the US, which bears the same initial TN expiry date of course, but it was stamped with the more recent date of entry... SO, when it says "Date Visa Issued" which do I put?

4) On the I-765 it asks "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS" -- the answer has to be yes, right?

Many many thanks for any help you guys can offer with this!

1) Since you did not get stamped, it would be an N/A in my opinion.

2) N/A

3) N/A

4) No, they talk about EAD here. If you have not applied for AOS under a separate immigrant case, the response is no.

Your TN information goes into the entry/admission information, not into visa information.

Archived