One way ticket from India to USA on visitor visa

p.kotte@yahoo.com

My mother have USA Visitor visa and planning to stay in USA for 5 months. 
I have only booked a one way ticket to Atlanta from Hyderabad as she is not yet confirmed on exact return date. And, I read somewhere, for visitor visa we have to show return ticket while checking in at Hyderabad and at Immigration in USA. I am not sure if it is really required to have a 2 -way ticket for visitor visa. Please help

My mother have USA Visitor visa and planning to stay in USA for 5 months. 
I have only booked a one way ticket to Atlanta from Hyderabad as she is not yet confirmed on exact return date. And, I read somewhere, for visitor visa we have to show return ticket while checking in at Hyderabad and at Immigration in USA. I am not sure if it is really required to have a 2 -way ticket for visitor visa. Please help

Always better to have return ticket for visitors.

Huh.. That is strange. An airline has no right to ask for your return ticket. 

No. Now a days, airlines are can request to show the return ticket who are traveling on visiting visa bcos US govt wants to make sure that these visitors will not stay in US once they land. I heard that US govt will sue the airlines for not doing so.

Huh.. That is strange. An airline has no right to ask for your return ticket. 

The airlines need to make sure that the passengers comply with US immigration regulations. Otherwise, the airline could get fined.

That's why they make sure that passengers have valid visas. And I assume that's why the airline asked for the return ticket.

The airlines need to make sure that the passengers comply with US immigration regulations. Otherwise, the airline could get fined.

That's why they make sure that passengers have valid visas. And I assume that's why the airline asked for the return ticket.

Might be JoeF. I traveled recently (In Sept 2014) to US from UK on a B2 visa. No one asked me about my return ticket even though I mentioned I will be there for 3 days. I am not concluding that asking for return tickets is not the norm. But, in my case it wasn't.

Archived