Eligibility for Naturalization with DUI

legacy_2007

Hello,

I will be applying for my naturalization in the next month or so. However before applying, I wanted to know a few things on the odds on the outcome for my application based on the following:

1. I got my first DUI in late 2011 (while I was still in university) - and sure will be my last! 

2. I completed all the requirements on the terms of my probation: i.e taking an alcohol education course at my university, community service and paying the fine. 

3. I have documentation from the district court stating the completion of the above

4. I have been in the workforce since 2012

Question is:

1. Unfortunately, I do not having any other documentation that would support my "good, morale character/behavior" after the DUI incident,  that cold potentially help support my application with the immigration officer . Would I need any? 

2. I was not planning to get an Immigration lawyer - would it be necessary? Under what circumstances is it absolutely necessary to have one? 

3. Is it advisable to wait until about 5 years have passed to apply? Or would it be OK to go ahead now? - I am not sure what are the implications.

I would like to think, being in the workforce, and not being in another incident involving DUIs or any misdemeanors since then would help support my case. 

What are some suggestions or thoughts to this? 

Your help and advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Archived