B-1/B-2 visa for job interviews

anakinNYC

Hi,

I am a software developer currently staying in India. I am interviewing with companies in the US and a couple of them have invited me for on-site interviews in the US. (I have previously worked in US for 3.5 years with H1-B and my new H1-B should be cap-exempt). I am now thinking about how to safely take up the on-site interviews.

1. Is B-1 visa the correct visa to take up job interviews in US? Or is B-2 visa better?

2. How long can I stay in the US if I'm taking up B-1 visa? (I would like to stay for at least 2 or 3 weeks and have more on-site interviews scheduled. Want to have better chances of getting one job at least)

3. Is the 30-60 rule applicable for both B-1 and B-2 visa or only B-2 visa? After traveling to US on B-1, is it risky to apply for H1-B immediately and should I wait for a certain period of time?

I really appreciate any input on these questions. Thank you!
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jairichi,

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate the input!

One of the companies I'm interviewing with is ready to fly me to Seattle for the on-site. When attending on-site interviews in the US, will I be allowed to stay in the US strictly for the interview duration? Or will I be able to stay a few extra days after the interview?

Regards,

anakinNYC

Hi Jairichi,

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate the input!

One of the companies I'm interviewing with is ready to fly me to Seattle for the on-site. When attending on-site interviews in the US, will I be allowed to stay in the US strictly for the interview duration? Or will I be able to stay a few extra days after the interview?

Regards,

anakinNYC

You need to be truthful to immigration officer at POE. If your intention is to be there for interview and to stay for a few extra days to look around as a visitor do tell immigration officer so. Should not be an issue.

Archived