A question about using the remaining OPT after the second masters

ayuSecret

Hi Murthy Team,

Thank you for noticing my post. :)

After my first master's program in economics, I plan to apply and use part of my OPT (say 9 months). Then I plan to do a second master in a STEM major and use the remaining 3 months of the OPT. (Based on the information I gathered, it seems viable to split the post-completion of OPT between two same level programs)

So if what I said above is actually feasible, I wonder if I am eligible to apply for the 17-month OPT extention while I am on the 3-month OPT after the second master's program.

I have been searching for the answers but didn't find anything helpful. It would be much appreciated if my question could be answered. Thank you very much!

This is the information I found on USCIS, it doesn't exclude my situation/plan (i.e, if I am approved for the last 3 months of OPT after doing a STEM master's program and apply for the 17-month extension while on OPT). But I am not very assertive. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

What are the eligibility requirements for the 17-month extension of post-completion OPT?
  • The student must have a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree included in the STEM Designated Degree Program List.
  • The student must currently be in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree.
  • The student’s employer must be enrolled in E-Verify.
  • The student must apply on time (i.e., before the current post-completion OPT expires).

This is the information I found on USCIS, it doesn't exclude my situation/plan (i.e, if I am approved for the last 3 months of OPT after doing a STEM master's program and apply for the 17-month extension while on OPT). But I am not very assertive. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

What are the eligibility requirements for the 17-month extension of post-completion OPT?
  • The student must have a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree included in the STEM Designated Degree Program List.
  • The student must currently be in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree.
  • The student’s employer must be enrolled in E-Verify.
  • The student must apply on time (i.e., before the current post-completion OPT expires).

The split option as what you want to do is not mentioned. In my opinion it is not possible at all. Wait for others opinion or talk to an attorney.

I do not think you can split OPT for two master's program. Choose for which master's you would like OPT and go with that.

Hi Jairichi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Here is the information I found on University of Chicago's website:

https://internationalaffairs.uchicago.edu/page/opt-optional-practical-training

Can I split up my OPT into multiple segments?

You are eligible for only one post-completion OPT segment per completed program of study.  You must begin post-completion OPT within 60 days of your program end date.  Any OPT you do not request or use will be forfeited.  At the same level, you can split post-completion OPT into multiple sections ; for example, you can use six months of OPT after completing a master’s program in computer science, and use the remaining six months after completing an MBA.  However, if you choose not to apply for OPT at the time you complete a program, you cannot go back at some point in the future and claim that OPT time.  In this sense, OPT is a ‘use it or lose it’ proposition.

And this is the other information I found from USCIS:

Is a student who splits OPT between two degrees at the same
education level limited to a total of 90 days of unemployment?

No, the student is not limited to a total of 90 days of unemployment in this
case. For each new period of post-completion OPT, the student will have
the full 90-day period of unemployment. 

Both indicate that splitting OPT beforehand is possible.

This is something on the website of North Carolina State University:

http://www.ncsu.edu/ois/faqs/opt.php

If I am planning to complete two Masters degrees, could I use OPT for both degrees?

It is possible to split your OPT time between two degrees at the same level. You have to make this decision when you graduate with your first MS degree. In this first application, you will indicate how many months of OPT you would like to use. Once you finish your second MS degree, you would apply for the remainder of OPT. (Please note that you cannot be enrolled in a degree program and do OPT at the same time).

Hi Jairichi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Here is the information I found on University of Chicago's website:

You are eligible for only one post-completion OPT segment per completed program of study.  You must begin post-completion OPT within 60 days of your program end date.  Any OPT you do not request or use will be forfeited.  At the same level, you can split post-completion OPT into multiple sections ; for example, you can use six months of OPT after completing a master’s program in computer science, and use the remaining six months after completing an MBA.  However, if you choose not to apply for OPT at the time you complete a program, you cannot go back at some point in the future and claim that OPT time.  In this sense, OPT is a ‘use it or lose it’ proposition.

This is something on the website of North Carolina State University:

http://www.ncsu.edu/ois/faqs/opt.php

If I am planning to complete two Masters degrees, could I use OPT for both degrees?

It is possible to split your OPT time between two degrees at the same level. You have to make this decision when you graduate with your first MS degree. In this first application, you will indicate how many months of OPT you would like to use. Once you finish your second MS degree, you would apply for the remainder of OPT. (Please note that you cannot be enrolled in a degree program and do OPT at the same time).

Thank you for educating me. I am new to this kind of situation that you are asking. Wait for other experts opinion or talk to a good attorney.

If the law mandates that the student must currently be in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree that could pose challenge to the 17 month extension. Since your initial application for OPT was made using a non STEM degree I am not sure if extension can be granted. Legal experts can provide good answers.

Hi Jairichi,

It is possible, but you have to indicate that explicitly on the application. By default, OPT gets granted for 12 months, and then it is gone, even if you don't use all of it.

If you request OPT for less than the full time, it does work.

If the law mandates that the student must currently be in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree that could pose challenge to the 17 month extension. Since your initial application for OPT was made using a non STEM degree I am not sure if extension can be granted. Legal experts can provide good answers.

Thank you guys so much!

Archived