Bank balance for F-2 visa?

smog

I am going to get married and schedule a F-2 visa interview for my wife (to-be) in India in April. How much bank balance should I show in my USA bank account? Does my wife need to show any amount in her Indian bank account?

Any other financial documents that I/her need to procure?

All (and any) help is highly appreciated. Personal experiences welcome.

Exactly why I am asking for an amount/figure. How much is enough in bank balance?  

There is no fixed amount.

You need to stop thinking that way.

What they are interested to see if you can support your wife. That means, are you getting regular income, and what are your usual expenses. In other words, activity in the bank account. THAT is what is important, not a particular balance at a particular day.

Bank balance doesn't mean anything. A relative could post $20K in your account, then you take a snapshot, and the next day,t he money gets transferred back. The consular officers know that such a thing could happen, so they don't care about bank balance. They care about activity over time.

Well, I have a good, steady income. I have the usual expenditures - car installments, rent, utilities and credit card payments. But I have till now sent most of my income home to repay the student loan (and in December I fully repaid it). So whatever savings there must be have to start with the January paycheck. I hope, if the VO at all asks about a lack of savings till December, my wife can show him the loan repayment completion document and tell him the real reason behind it. Hope that would not be a negative influence on his decision. 

Well, I have a good, steady income. I have the usual expenditures - car installments, rent, utilities and credit card payments. But I have till now sent most of my income home to repay the student loan (and in December I fully repaid it). So whatever savings there must be have to start with the January paycheck. I hope, if the VO at all asks about a lack of savings till December, my wife can show him the loan repayment completion document and tell him the real reason behind it. Hope that would not be a negative influence on his decision. 

As JoeF pointed out constant flow of funds matters. Not for what you used them or lack of savings. You should be fine if you have enough earnings to support you and your spouse.

Yes, my income is sufficiently enough to support for me and my wife. That being said, can any of you provide any personal examples or link to threads which say anything about the general bank balance that should look "good"? Now that we have established a fixed saving amount is not necessary, I reckon, it should still have some positive vibe.

Yes, my income is sufficiently enough to support for me and my wife. That being said, can any of you provide any personal examples or link to threads which say anything about the general bank balance that should look "good"? Now that we have established a fixed saving amount is not necessary, I reckon, it should still have some positive vibe.

Dude, you are asking the same question again in a different way. There is nothing called "general bank balance". Please read the old replies again.

Look at any university website for information on F2 visa and you will know.

http://sait.usc.edu/ois/intl-students/f2/how-to-apply.aspx

Bank balance is irrelevant, as you have been told several times now. Please get that into your head.

@JoeF, I appreciate your help, but remember, you can do better with polite use of language. Since this is a very important thing for me, I am making sure I don't leave any stones unturned. As you must realize, the person who is undergoing this process the one who is under maximum duress, you should cut slack some things which do not appear to get into his/her "head". Trust me, they do. Thank you.

@JoeF, I appreciate your help, but remember, you can do better with polite use of language. Since this is a very important thing for me, I am making sure I don't leave any stones unturned. As you must realize, the person who is undergoing this process the one who is under maximum duress, you should cut slack some things which do not appear to get into his/her "head". Trust me, they do. Thank you.

Geez. We have told you over and over that the bank balance is irrelevant.

If you ignore what you get told, then you shouldn't be surprised that people get irate.

Again, bank balance is irelevant!

Do I need to say it again?

Are you getting it now? Or do I need to repeat it once more?

And once more: bank balance is irrelevant!

Wow, well, I learned not only that the bank balance is unimportant, but also that constructive criticism is a farce. You provide excellent help on matters pertaining to foreign visas, you need to work on some other important issues though. I do not see other posters getting irritated and I don't remember making a personal request for your response. Thank you anyway. I will appreciate if anybody else has anything important (and less outburst-ish) to contribute. Thank you guys!   

Sigh. Welcome to the real world.

-- I live in the same real world, too. I don't see people having the need to be incisive blunt just because the world is "real".

I am known to be blunt.

-- Nothing you cannot change. You have a choice. Another advantage of living in the real world - choice.

It usually is the only thing that gets through to people.

-- No. I appreciated you for your excellent visa related advice.

It is simply: If you want sugar-coating, get candy.

-- Chocolate is awesome. That does not mean chocolate is always sugar coated. But I hate it when people sell chocolate coated with shards of glass. Why ruin a supremely awesome core?

Sigh. Welcome to the real world.

-- I live in the same real world, too. I don't see people having the need to be incisive blunt just because the world is "real".

I am known to be blunt.

-- Nothing you cannot change. You have a choice. Another advantage of living in the real world - choice.

It usually is the only thing that gets through to people.

-- No. I appreciated you for your excellent visa related advice.

It is simply: If you want sugar-coating, get candy.

-- Chocolate is awesome. That does not mean chocolate is always sugar coated. But I hate it when people sell chocolate coated with shards of glass. Why ruin a supremely awesome core?

I don't sell anything.

If you don't like blunt advice, you are free to get crappy advice from other people or other forums covered in chocolate. Your choice.

You are an adult, and responsible for your choices. Just don't come back in 1/2 year and whine that your choice, ignoring blunt advice, was the wrong one.

As somebody once observed, the story often goes this way:

Person A: Can I do X?

Joe: No, X is illegal.

Person A: Thanks, but I do it anyway.

1/2 year later:

Person A: I did X, and now I'm in big trouble.

Joe: I told you so...

I never said I don't want your advice. I said I would appreciate your advice exponentially more should it be devoid of all the unnecessary bluntness. I have written thank you posts to posters of great advice on this forum. Just to let them know they are doing a great job.

Besides, I am not Person A. He sounds stupid. But you don't sound like the Joe from your story either, just a small read backwards on this thread can confirm my version.

Archived