Successful H1b stamping at Chennai

jinder

I was charged with 1 count of misdemeanor in 2009. 

According to the state law, the case was dismissed after no plea deal. But as per immi law, I am still considered guilty.

The no plea agreement was deferred entry of judgement. what this means is if I don't get in trouble with the law for 2 years, then case would be dismissed. It was dismissed in 2011.

Moved to India in 2009 this for various other reasons.

Anyway, in 2010 I went for B1 interview. Got visa for 1 year. Probably because my case was still not concluded.

Again, went to B1 interview in 2013, got visa for 10yrs.

In both the above cases, the VO asked "what happened in 2009"

Answered with facts, gave them the court papers. They checked with someone inside (probably their superiors with experience in dealing with these cases) and granted visa. It might have taken about 10mins more than regular interview.

I traveled to US twice on B1. 

Last week, I had H1B interview at chennai. Again same question. 

I answered, but she did not understand. She said she needs some time and asked me to wait. Called me after 30mins, she wasn't convinced - "if you aren't guilty why didn't you fight"

couldn't give her a straight answer. Just told her "i discussed with my lawyer and this is best i could do back then"

Asked me to wait again.

Was called again after 30mins, when all the other candidates were done and the consulate was pretty much empty except for 5-10 of us.

This time she asked me all the questions again. Then said "I need to have someone look at this" went to the back office. Came back after 10-15mins, said "Let me make some notes here" and then said "your visa looks approvable", sorry for taking time....

This is not a good statement to hear. So I was jittery until i got my passport 3 days later.

It was stamped with H1b. The dates were right and everything else was right.

I think this VO was often discussed in the students forum. Too many F1 rejections maybe.

Other VOs were pretty cool compared to this one. This experience was lengthy and daunting scary compared to my previous B1 experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived