Lost job on L1 Visa

ragavan1984

My job was terminated last week. I was working on L1 Visa and I am currently on Invalid Status. I-94 is valid till October 2015. I have a few questions - 

1. How much longer can I stay in US? Can I find a job and have them sponsor my H1B for next year?

2. I have a valid tourist visa. Can I come back on my visitor's visa and stay with my family who have H1B? Can I just go to Jamaica and get back to US on tourist visa? Is there anything else that I need to take care of?

3. Can I change my status to H4 or F1 while staying in US itself? Or should I go out of the country and file my H4 or F1?

4. If I come back on tourist visa traveling to Jamaica will there be any issues during immigration?

Please do let me know. I understand I do not have anytime left. 

Thanks.

You are out of status now!

You can't change status because you are out of status.

An H4 is a dependent status. Are you married and is your spouse in H1 status?

Changing to F1 is never a possibility. Where did you get the idea of changing to F1 from??? Universities have application deadlines, and it takes several months to get admission. ANd if somebody told you to just sign up with one of the fake "universities", well, if you do that you would kill your career in the US forever.

And going abroad and coming back on B2? You certainly won't be able to stay until an H1 could kick in.

So, go to your home country, and from there, find a good employer who can file an H1 for you next year. Avoid consulting companies.

1. You are out of status from last week. H1B filing is in April next year and so you cannot stay here till then by being out of status.

2. Exit and enter with a valid H4 visa.

3. Immediately apply for COS to H4.There is a chance that it might get approved.

4. H4 is the best route for you to stay with your family till you find an employer and get a H1B approved.

Thank you for the information. My spouse is in H1B status and can i apply for COS to H4 within USA or should i exit to my home country and return back?

I have a son(13 months) old who is an American citizen, Will his citizenship help me as a parent to stay in the USA?

File COS to H4 now, your son's citizenship will not help you out. No need to exit US to file COS.Didn't your husband told you to file for H4 immediately??

Archived