Conversion of Visa Status from H4 to F1

Tanvi19

Hi ,

I initially came to US on F1 and completed my Master's. Later I came on H4 visa which is my current status. Now I want to convert to F1. I have my I-20, hence can i go for F1 stamping to canada. Did anyone ever had such experience?

On the other side, I have my H4 extension done recently. Hence I dont have stamping for the current H4. So if I travel for Visa stamping to Canada which will be out of US, is it possible to return to US on current H4 documents without Visa Stamping? 

Thanks

Hi Tanvi,

'Now I want to convert to F1. I have my I-20, hence can i go for F1 stamping to canada. ' - Are you doing your second Masters or a Community College or certification course?

To answer your q, though stamping in Canada is relatively subjected to less scrutiny, you should be prepared with the queries regarding your second masters and the need for an F1 while you are eligible to study in H4 itself (Ans can be related with GA/TA, scholarships... But NOT related with CPT and even OPT)

'"So if I travel for Visa stamping to Canada which will be out of US, is it possible to return to US on current H4 documents without Visa Stamping? "

No! To enter US , you need a valid visa. Your options are to get a stamping for F1. If it goes fine, well and good. If it does not, you will have to schedule and get an H4 stamping (Less risky, I hope) before you travel back to US.

Hope this helps!

Archived