Travel on post completion OPT no F1 stamping to Puerto Rico/ US virgin islands/ Hawaii/Alaska

Guest student12345

Guest student12345

Hello,

I am current working on post completion OPT. I came to USA 2 yrs ago on H4 and did a COS to F1 last year. I have an I94 thats states duration of status and I received it along with my I797 approval notice. My question is can I travel to Puerto Rico/ US virgin islands/ Hawaii/Alaska? If yes, what documents so I need to carry since I do not have a F1 stamping. In  addition, do I need to get a travel signature from my university before traveling? Please do let me know.

Thanks for helping!

Guest student12345

True, but I did hear that Puerto rico you go through customs hence you need to have a valid stamping. I dont want to be in a situation where I go to Puerto rico and cant come back without stamping.

True, but I did hear that Puerto rico you go through customs hence you need to have a valid stamping. I dont want to be in a situation where I go to Puerto rico and cant come back without stamping.

Customs isn't immigration. You never need a visa stamp for going through customs.

You don't need a visa stamp to travel within the US. That includes Puerto Rico.

Again, Puerto Rico is part of the US. Travel to and from there is like travel anywhere else in the US.

A visa stamp is an entry document. It is ONLY required when a person enters the US from a location outside the US. Since Puerto Rico is INSIDE the US, a visa stamp is not required.

Geez. It isn't rocket science.

Archived