N400 application question

ledo1611

I got my green card through work about 4 years ago, have been married to my wife for about 10 years, when we got married we did so in our home country's consulate/embassy here in the US but we didn't do the local US marriage license/certificate, my wife had a green card at the time (through her family), now she has been a citizen for a little over 3 years. so I applied for citizenship on the basis of being married to a US citizen for 3 years, used the original marriage certificate from our embassy with a translation. after passing the English & history test, the officer told me he is not sure that a foregin marriage certificate would work for this purpose since we were physically present in the US and should've gotten a local marriage certificate. anyway he said he will send it for review, they called me a few months later to say the case has been approved, gave me an N-652 approval notice and said to wait for the oath ceremony scheduling. However, a couple of weeks later I received another letter again saying they won't accept this marriage certificate and they need a local US certificate as a proof of our legal marriage to proceed with the case!

should I just go ahead and withdraw my N400 application, then reapply later on the basis of being a permenant resident for 5 years? I would be eligible to apply in about 6 months or so. I read some where that I can simply send a letter to the local USCIS office requesting to withdraw my N400 and then re-apply later. it seems easier to do it that way but was wondering if there would be any issues if I withdraw my application now after the interview.

Archived