Travel on EAD

nv1234

Travel on EAD

Hi All,

I got my EAD card 1 month back. I just want to know when I travel outside US on EAD, like to Canada or India, will I need a Visa stamped on my passport to return back to US? Just like for H1b we need visa stamping.

Will I have to go to embassy to get my passport visa stamped on EAD as well?

Thanks a lot in advance.

The EAD is a work authorization document. It is not a travel document. The Advance Parole is a travel document. Many people have combination cards, which are BOTH an EAD and AP.

It is important to understand which document(s) have been approved. If traveling on the AP, there is no visa stamping involved. AP is advanced permission to reenter the US and be paroled in to continue to pursue the I-485.

I just saw, at the bottom of my EAD card it's written "SERVES AS I-512 ADVANCE PAROLE". My husband sponserd my GC so I have no idea about this.
Doesn't it mean I can come back to US without any visa if I go to India?

The EAD is a work authorization document. It is not a travel document. The Advance Parole is a travel document. Many people have combination cards, which are BOTH an EAD and AP.

It is important to understand which document(s) have been approved. If traveling on the AP, there is no visa stamping involved. AP is advanced permission to reenter the US and be paroled in to continue to pursue the I-485.

Archived