!!URGENT !! Impact of Domestic Violence-3rd Degree dismissed(Nol-prossed) Case on OPT/H1b

Ram41

Hey guys

I really appreciate Murthy law firm for this website. My case- Me and my Gf had a fight. My Gf called cops thinking that they will only give warning but they unfortunately arrested me. She told them that i slapped her and they noted it down and took the picture of her face. But she was very worried and went to the court next day and the case was dismissed (nol-prossed) by the judge after speaking to the prosecutor. I am in a way very fortunate for this that they didnot ask me to attend any course or probation. It was directly closed. My questions are

1)  I have to apply for OPT as this is my last sem. Will this effect my OPT

2) Should i wait for this case to get expunged ?

3) or Should i take case disposition letter from court ? will i be getting case disposition from the court as its been only 1 week since it got dismissed ?

Thanks for your help !

• 2 months later...

Hey same thing happened with me in 2012 when I was in school .

I completed my school and applied for opt too and thank god there hasn't been no issues as I have even got the 2nd opt extension and now my h1b is also been approved .

Hope this would be of some relief to you .

• 1 year later...

Hi Johngage,

I have similar situation wherein I was arrested for 1 day for 273.5 DV case and then convicted by DA for PC 415 - Disturbing the peace in cali. I have to go to Mumbai for extension of H-1 renewal in august 2016. i am eligible for dropbox without biometrics i.e. no fingerprinting. i am worried about 221g. The conviction of PC 415 disturbing the peace is not a CIMT, my lawyer told me.

Please advise what should i expect for the renewal of h-1 in Mumbai?

Thanks!

Archived