221g Toronto Canada

waj009

Hello,

I got a 221g at Toronto, Canada. I am on H1b and already got stamped once (successful on first attempt) which was expired in June 2014. I got my visa extended and I had travel plans so had to go for stamping again but to my surprise they gave a yellow slip asking for

"Electronic copy of your CV/Resume with details concerning the exact nature of your field of study/research and current position, work history, list of publications and source of funding" 

I am on EVC model. I don't understand why someone all of a sudden would have a problem when I am going to the same consulate for the second time, with same employer, vendor and client (everything same). Also had the client letter and every single document. This is how my interview went

VO: Can I see your 797 form?
Me: I gave her

VO: Checked my passport and with a puzzled expression she told you already have a visa why did you come here?

Me: The one on my passport is expired I need to renew it.

VO: You don't have to I don't know why you are here.

Me: I explained  her that I can't go back to US if I don't have the updated one.

VO: She called another officer (talked for a while) and asked me for tax returns
( I provided her) she then checked.

VO: What is the longest time you stayed in US?
Me: I came in XXXXX and was till XXXX. 

VO: What was the thesis during your masters?
Me: I did research on XXXXX.

VO: What kind of research?
Me: We had to write a paper choosing an area of interest. I did on XXXXX.

VO: Can I see your old H1b doc?
Me: I gave her. (Then she talked to the other officer for almost 2min).

VO: Still I don't understand why you need a new h1b visa we need more time for administrative processing. It will take 1-3months. You could've gone directly back to the country but since you are here there is always a risk involved.

She gave me yellow slip. 
In the yellow slip it asked for my CV/RESUME with details concerning the exact nature of your field of study/research and current work position, work history, list of publications and source of funding.

--------End of interview------

Still I don't understand why she said that you don't have to attend interview when my H1b stamping is expired. I am totally confused and surprised with the whole process even after providing her all the documents she gave me yellow slip.

Do you guys know the how long is the processing time for this kind of 221g? She said that it will take 1-3 months. I have no clue why it would take that long.

Also I need accommodation for 3 weeks, please give me some suggestions. Is there anyone with similar experience?

I am on EVC model. I don't understand why someone all of a sudden would have a problem when I am going to the same consulate for the second time, with same employer, vendor and client (everything same). Also had the client letter and every single document.

But things changed w.r.t immigration.

I see only two reasons why you got 221g :

1) The VO was in a really bad mood on the day of your interview and took it out on you.

2) The VO got more irritated by your reply that 'you need to' get a stamp. Technically you don't 'need to' get a stamp unless you leave the country. Maybe that ticked the VO off.

I heard people's cases are getting resolved in a week even if they get 221g. So, hang in there and good luck!

Definitely the VO is new to Embassy. As far as processing is concerned i believe it will be done within 40days, as that is the process timeline seen in some forums for this month. They say 1-3 months because Admin process is usually resolved within 60 business days which makes approx 2.5 months. 

Dont worry hang in tight you will get it. If you want cheap places look something on Kijiji.com. 

Thank you for the response. My visa is expired and had to be restamped. I sent all the documents to the requested email address in the 221g form. I got an automated response but no official response has been received. Do you guys know how long it will take to even get a response from the officials? I am really getting worried as few people are saying it will take more than 2months.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the response. My visa is expired and had to be restamped. I sent all the documents to the requested email address in the 221g form. I got an automated response but no official response has been received. Do you guys know how long it will take to even get a response from the officials? I am really getting worried as few people are saying it will take more than 2months.

Whats your story now? Still surviving in Toronto?

• 7 months later...

I've got the same trouble in Toronto when applying for a visitor visa. They approved my wife's application right away as she only had some college degree. But to me they gave that yellow page with this request to send cv although i did my postdoc in the states and actually just turned in my us pr card to them (as i've got my canadian pr and my permanent academic job in canada). I hoped to simply exchange my us pr for a visitor visa but in reality with a dui in us several years ago i got a lot of trouble returning to the us.

Archived