Passport validity to re-enter USA on H1B

archana_alatkar

Hi,

I am a H1B holder with an Indian passport that will expire on May 1st 2015.

And planning to travel to Bombay, India on from Seattle USA via Amsterdam on Oct 18 2014 and returning from Bombay -> Delhi ->Amsterdam ->Seattle, boarding from Bombay on Nov 1st 2014, from Delhi on Nov 2nd 2014 and arriving to Seattle USA on Nov 2nd 2014

Will there be a problem for my re-entry to the USA given that my passport will expire one less day in 6 months?

Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

Archana

I just want to make small correction on what Jairichi has written.

I went to India last June 2014 and my Passport is expiring in Feb 2015. My I-94 hasmy VISA expiry date but not my passport expiry date. My VISA expire in Sep 2015.

Sometimes immigration officer overlooks passport expiry date and issues a longer I94 expiry date based on I797 expiry date. But, generally if your passport expires before I797 then that would be the expiry date mentioned in I94.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

Though above thread is helpful, thought of double checking here as I have similar question and when initially i googled for answers, i got conflicting information online.

My wife is on H4 visa, and recently she had to travel back to India. Now her passport expiry is 25-Dec-2015, can she travel in 1st week of July, 2015 ? Or in order to comply to 6 months validity rule, she needs to travel latest by 24-June-2015 ?? 

Since her H4 visa is valid till Nov-2015, i am presuming that she need not to go for stamping again, only concern i have is her return date.

Appreciate your time and help.

Hi,

Though above thread is helpful, thought of double checking here as I have similar question and when initially i googled for answers, i got conflicting information online.

My wife is on H4 visa, and recently she had to travel back to India. Now her passport expiry is 25-Dec-2015, can she travel in 1st week of July, 2015 ? Or in order to comply to 6 months validity rule, she needs to travel latest by 24-June-2015 ?? 

Since her H4 visa is valid till Nov-2015, i am presuming that she need not to go for stamping again, only concern i have is her return date.

Appreciate your time and help.

6 months valid passport is for visa stamping and not for entry to US with a valid visa. She has a valid H4 visa and along with a copy of your I797 she can travel to US.

Archived