L1 B individual options after max 5 years

arjun0715

Dear Team,

I have 9 years of experience as a Development Lead and my physical stay in US on L1-B quota (Blanket and Individual) will be reaching maximum duration of 5years in Nov 2015. So, now, i think i have two options to extend my US stay.

1) Filing for H1 B in Apr 2015

2) Applying for L1-A

If i am applying for L1-A, when (time frame) exactly i am supposed to be doing that? and if i choose to go with h1 route, How many years will i get the approavol assuming that my petition is picked  up in the lottery and approved?

Your answers to these questions would be of great help.

regards,

Arjun

Thank you both for your replies. I would like to seek your thoughts on this, basically i am thinking of avoiding L1 A route since it has lot of denials and choose H1-B. If my H1-B is not picked/approved, only then i would consider L1-A extension. But I heard through my colleagues and in other forums that it is mandatory for the employer to file for L1-A 6 months prior to the petition's expiry date, especially for cases where the maximum term completion comes in to picture. Is that really a rule or a suggested best practice? because, if it is rule, when my H1-b is not picked/approved and then i will have approx.  4 months time for my current petition's end date and i may not be eligible for L1-A extension. 

Please share your thoughts on this.. 

Archived