Impending divorce, request revocation of H4 status for my spouse

gsinus

Hi,

This is not the brightest story, but it seems that a divorce between me and my spouse is imminent. Both me & my spouse  currently have an approved H1B  & H4 (as my dependent) respectively, till may 2017. At this point I would like to stay away for him for atleast some time and then decide if divorce is the best way foward for us.

We have approved I-797's but our US visa's in our passports are expired, so if we leave the country, we shall have to go for a visa interview to get new visas. At this point, my spouse has refused to leave the country for obvious reasons and obviously I cannot  force him.

Is there any way I can request my company attorney to revoke his H4, so that he goes out of status and is forced to leave the country ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

GottaK

Thanks for the replies folks.

Jairichi - can you elaborate on the rule you mentioned about him staying back here on H4 while I am out of the country with a valid H1B on vacation in my home country for over 2 weeks. Is that an illegal stay for him here in the US even, though he has an approved H4 I-797. If you could share some links to this clause, that would be great.

Your inputs much appreciated.

Regards

Thanks for the replies folks.

Jairichi - can you elaborate on the rule you mentioned about him staying back here on H4 while I am out of the country with a valid H1B on vacation in my home country for over 2 weeks. Is that an illegal stay for him here in the US even, though he has an approved H4 I-797. If you could share some links to this clause, that would be great.

Your inputs much appreciated.

Regards

Actually, jairichi is wrong on that.

It is ok for dependents on H4 to stay in the US is the primary person on H1 is outside the country for a vacation. It would be different if you quit your job in the US and take up a job outside the US.

Archived