H1b 6th year extension - GC labor approved

sendhil_83

Hi,

I came to US in 2006 in L1 and applied for H1B in 2008 with another employed and never changed to H1b and went back to India for a year from 2008 April to 2009 June. 

My first L1 go expired and so i got new L1 and came back in 2009 June and continued in it until 2012 and in 2012 i applied for H1B using my expired petition that i got in 2008 with another employed and shifted.

And i applied for GC this year with my second employe and got my labor approved.

Also my employer filed an extension for my 6th year and i got RFE asking for all the dates i came in and went out of country and pass pages.

My company's attorney says that I could have completed 6 years in H1B and thats why i have got RFE. So we need to try different alternatives.

Please let me know if thats the case. I was under the assumption that if i spend 1 year outside US the 6 year cap will be reset. So i was thinking next year june my 6 years will be completed.

If thats the case please let me know what are my options.

Your attorney's assumption is right. Only if the L1 petition that allowed you to enter in June 2009 was filed after you stayed outside US for a year then your clock would have reset.

Your option is if your I-140 is pending for more than a year then your employer could request for extension. Or if I-140 is approved extension could be requested.

Archived