Planning to visit US for attending brother's graduation ceremony - need advice

triton4

Dear All,

I am a 29-yr-old Engineering professional from India. My younger brother is currently doing his MS degree in the US and he will be graduating in July 2015. I would like to visit him in July for attending his graduation ceremony. My parents would be visiting him as well, but as they already have US Tourist visas for themselves, they are not worried. I have to apply for a new US Tourist visa (B-2) for myself, as this will be the first time I am visiting the US.

I have gathered a lot of information regarding the B-2 visa procedures and interview questions & I feel there should not be much problem with respect to applying and getting the visa. However, I am a bit concerned when it comes to demonstrating my ties with India: I am currently unmarried & I do not own any property as yet. However, I do own a car and I have life insurance which will be valid till my 60s. Also, I can get a No-objection Certificate from my company as my visit will be only for 1 or 2 weeks at most.

I do not have any intention of settling down in the US - my visit is purely for the purpose of attending my brother's graduation ceremony and spending some time with him.

Do you think I have a fair chance of getting my B-2 visa approved, or do you think it will be extremely difficult for me to convince the Visa officer? Please advice.

Archived