F2 to H1B


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 I came to US on F2 VISA, a postgraduate from UK with 1.5 yrs research experience. I would like to find a suitable job here. My wife is doing her PhD, I thought of applying for a job. But most of the consultants advice me to transfer to F1 - get OPT/Internship/CPT then approach them and also say that F2 to H1b, the rejection rate is higher.


Is it illegal to search for jobs(VISA sponsored jobs only) when I'm in F2? or if it is ok to find jobs?


Which consultant should I approach to get a H1b cap- exempt VISA jobs or direct H1b VISA jobs?



Facing extreme stress to be in F2. Please help me out.

Link to comment

Stay away from consultants as they provide wrong advice. You can study on F1 visa and get OPT. Do not even think about CPT as there is widespread abuse of CPT. It is possible to move from F2 to H1B provided you find an employer willing to offer you a job and file H1B. If you are in scientific research it is not that easy to get a job in industry. Good option for you would be is to work for a research lab in an university where the H1B petition is cap exempt i.e. there is no quota and it can be applied through out the year.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.