J1 and green card

pr20

hi

I am a physician on j1. Completed my residency and working on a j1 waiver job which started July 2014. My wife is on h1b. Her I-140 was approved and her priority date is nov 2010.

If suppose my wife's priority date becomes current next year can she apply for I-485 for me?

Or does she need to wait until I complete my 3yrs of j1 waiver job.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the answer. What is the best thing to do in this situation.

to let my spouse file her I-485 when her priority date becomes current and I pursue my own method for gc

Or

Can my spouse wait for 3 yrs until my waiver job is completed

I would suggest you to talk to a good attorney to explore all possible options.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently got a J1 visa to work as research scholar. My husband who is  filing for his green card on EB1A category (I140/485 filing concurrently). From what I understand, a J1 visa holder who has the 2 year home residency requirement has to get a J-1 waiver before applying for green card. I am yet to initiate the  waiver process. I have two major concerns.

1)Could my husband include my name as spouse  in his immigration petition? 

2)If I were to be added later as spouse (family based petition) after he receives his Green card (and after I receive waiver), how long does the adjustment of status take?  Could I work while adjustment of status is pending? If my J1 expires when adjustment of status is pending, will I be out of status?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Archived