Travel to India while H1B transfer in progress

ssuresh1987

I work for Company A on H1B visa currently and the visa is valid till end of September, 2017. I do not have the visa stamped yet on my passport, but I have already made plans to go to India in 1.5 months and get my visa stamped. At this point, I have received an offer from Company B, and they are ready to start processing my H1B transfer. Here is my question:

Can I travel to India and get my H1B visa stamped with I-797 from company A, and join company B after I have come back to the US? WIll my H1B transfer process get affected in the meantime?

You can travel though your transfer is still in progress, just get the docs related to processing like I-129 application, LCA, fee receipt, FEDEX receipt etc. And don't forget AC 21 portablity memo print out in case the CBP officer asks why you are travelling without new approved I-797. The moral is approval document is recommended but not mandatory if the CBP is convinced.

You can travel though your transfer is still in progress, just get the docs related to processing like I-129 application, LCA, fee receipt, FEDEX receipt etc. And don't forget AC 21 portablity memo print out in case the CBP officer asks why you are travelling without new approved I-797. The moral is approval document is recommended but not mandatory if the CBP is convinced.

AC21 portability applies when OP is in US not during his travel.

Archived