Adding spouse to GC on F2A


Recommended Posts



I have been a Permanent Resident since Feb 2012. I plan on getting married soon and my future wife is already in the US on an F1 visa. 


As I understand it, she will be added to my GC on F2A, and I will apply as soon as we have the marriage certificate in hand. I will consult a lawyer for that. 


My question is :are there any preliminary steps to follow before that? Or can we just show up at an immigration lawyer's office and give them the required papers? 


Also, can I do this on my own without a lawyer?



Link to comment

You can do it without a lawyer, assuming you are generally good at filling government papers (I would still recommend a couple of paid consultations). Also, you are not "adding" your wife. You will be sponsoring her through I-130, and she will be filing her own I-485. Since your future wife in on F1, timing of her I-485 filing can be important relative to her entry to the US or F1 extension. This is something to get advice on from the lawyer.

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.