Inquiry regarding Transfer between different universities after OPT Stem Expires ?

ashupuri

Hello
My F1 visa is already expired and my OPT Stem will expire on Nov 25, 2014. I am planning to work till the end of my OPT Stem and in the meanwhile take an admission in a new university for Spring Session starting in January. My main concern is to maintain a legal status in USA after my OPT Stem expires so that I can join the new university for spring session starting in 56 days (from the date of expiry of my OPT Stem). My questions:

1. If I work till Nov 25 and tell my present university to transfer my SEVIS on Nov 25 to the new university for the session starting on 10th January, am I legally allowed to stay in US till the beginning of the next session in Jan ? 

2. or Do I have to leave the country and then reenter with a new VISA and new I-20 ?

3. Shall I transfer my SEVIS before expiry of OPT Stem ?

4. Can the new university generate a I-20 for me 56 days before the spring session starts ? or as long as I have an admission, it should not matter when the I-20 is generated ?

I wont be working for that time period (Nov 26 2014- Jan 10 2015)

Hello

My F1 visa is already expired and my OPT Stem will expire on Nov 25, 2014. I am planning to work till the end of my OPT Stem and in the meanwhile take an admission in a new university for Spring Session starting in January. My main concern is to maintain a legal status in USA after my OPT Stem expires so that I can join the new university for spring session starting in 56 days (from the date of expiry of my OPT Stem). My questions:

1. If I work till Nov 25 and tell my present university to transfer my SEVIS on Nov 25 to the new university for the session starting on 10th January, am I legally allowed to stay in US till the beginning of the next session in Jan ? 

2. or Do I have to leave the country and then reenter with a new VISA and new I-20 ?

3. Shall I transfer my SEVIS before expiry of OPT Stem ?

4. Can the new university generate a I-20 for me 56 days before the spring session starts ? or as long as I have an admission, it should not matter when the I-20 is generated ?

I wont be working for that time period (Nov 26 2014- Jan 10 2015)

1. You are maintaining F1 status. No harm on that.

2. If you are in F1 status, you do not have to leave the country and re-enter. If your F1 visa is expired and you want to travel, then yes, you would have to reapply for F1 visa. 

3. No, don't transfer SEVIS before OPT expires. If you do, your OPT period will expire on the day you transferred SEVIS.

4. Yes, they can. I-20 will only be issued by your new university when you transfer SEVIS.

I suggest you to contact ISO and get more information about the questions you've asked.

1. You are maintaining F1 status. No harm on that.

2. If you are in F1 status, you do not have to leave the country and re-enter. If your F1 visa is expired and you want to travel, then yes, you would have to reapply for F1 visa. 

3. No, don't transfer SEVIS before OPT expires. If you do, your OPT period will expire on the day you transferred SEVIS.

4. Yes, they can. I-20 will only be issued by your new university when you transfer SEVIS.

I suggest you to contact ISO and get more information about the questions you've asked.

I talked to ISO of the new university. They told me that they will generate the new I-20 in December. I wont be traveling outside US in the meantime. So, I will work till Nov 24, 2014 and then fill out the SEVIS transfer form to transfer and the new I-20 will be generated in December 2014. Will I still be in F1 Status from end of my OPT Stem and by the time I transfer to the new university within 60 days ?

Archived