transition from CPT to H1B

ayukrish

Hello,

I graduated with B.S in the USA itself in Dec 2010 and worked on OPT for next 12 months plus stem extension. after that  I was enrolled in a masters program in Fall 2013 when i received opportunity of co-op on my CPT. 

My company applied for my H1B this year and it was approved. My change of status is also approved starting oct 1. My current CPT is valid till 22nd august. 

My question is , as I am starting work in October, and I wont be registered at my school for Fall classes, can I stay in the country ? I have a valid stamped F-1 visa currently.  Can I stay in the USA til my H-1B status kicks in ? 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

after that  I was enrolled in a masters program in Fall 2013 when i received opportunity of co-op on my CPT. 

My company applied for my H1B this year and it was approved.

Is this a legitimate CPT?? Is your CPT job and H1 job are one and same??

In order to be in status you have to go to school until your H1 starts

Yes, its a well reputed aerospace company ( which is also my major for masters) and they approved me as a co-op and filed my H1 for a full time position. The CPT is authorised by my school DSO . 

So you are saying that untill my H1B starts this october, I should register for my fall classes, attend them till septemeber end , and come back as a full time employee starting october ? ( by essentially dropping my semester in the middle? ) 

Would that look more shady to the consulate when I go for my H1b stamping eventually ? 

Yes, its a well reputed aerospace company ( which is also my major for masters) and they approved me as a co-op and filed my H1 for a full time position. The CPT is authorised by my school DSO . 

So you are saying that untill my H1B starts this october, I should register for my fall classes, attend them till septemeber end , and come back as a full time employee starting october ? ( by essentially dropping my semester in the middle? ) 

Would that look more shady to the consulate when I go for my H1b stamping eventually ? 

Yes, if not you can leave US when your CPT ends and enter US with H1 visa.

Archived