Is unexpired stamped H4 visa required to take transit flight through Frankfurt, back to India?

shanuss

My wife is staying in USA on H4 visa. Her stamped visa will expire by Sep-2014. We got the extension approved from USCIS. She is planning to travel back to India in Nov - 2014 through Frankfurt. I heard from some friends that unexpired stamped visa is required if we take transit flight through European countries.

Check the highlighted points. Transit Visa Country List

Transit Visa Country List

Nationals of the following countries are required to be in possession of an airport transit visa when passing through the international transit area of airports in Germany:

AFGHANISTAN, BANGLADESH, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO, ERITREA, ETHIOPIA, GHANA, INDIA, IRAN, IRAQ, JORDAN ** (please see below), LEBANON, MYANMAR, MALI, NIGERIA, PAKISTAN, SOMALIA, SRI LANKA, SUDAN, SOUTH SUDAN, SYRIA, TURKEY

** In addition, Jordanian citizens are exempt from an airport transit visa if they hold a valid visa for Australia, Israel or New Zealand, and hold a valid boarding pass or ticket for one of these countries. Jordanian citizens are also exempt if they, after a legal stay in one of the above mentioned countries, are travelling back to Jordan and are in possession of a valid boarding pass or ticket to Jordan. The connecting flight must be leaving within 12 hours after arriving in Germany from the same airport in whose transit section the traveller has been waiting.

Exceptions: Nationals from the above list are entitled to transit through the international transit zones without an airport transit visa:

1. If they hold a valid visa for the United States of America 

2. If they return from the USA after having used the visa

3. If they hold one of the following residence permits:

* Form I-551 permanent resident card (valid for 2 to 10 years),

* Form I-551 Alien registration receipt card (valid for 2 to 10 years),

* Form I-551 Alien registration receipt card (no expiry date),

* Form I-327 Re-entry document (valid for two years — issued to

holders of a I-551),

* Resident alien card (valid for 2 or 10 years or no expiry date.

This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his stay

outside the USA has not exceeded one year),

* Permit to re-enter (valid for two years. This document guarantees

the holder’s return only if his stay outside the USA has not

exceeded two years),

* Valid temporary residence stamp in a valid passport (valid for one

year from the date of issue).  

Please note that the advance parole and the approval notice (I-797) are not valid documents for visa free airport transit!

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/05__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Visa.html

Archived