Consular "System Crash" - possible delays in issuance of visa

swatina

Hi, 

I saw this news pasted below - about Consular system crash on July 19th. I saw some posts on Murthy of applicants who had their visa interview on July 21st in Vancouver. Apparently they were not informed about any such system crash (as their posts did not mention about it). Please does anyone have any further info, specific to Vancouver consulate. Is it affecting all the consulates worldwide. I do see Mumbai consulate has listed out this news in the Non Immigrant visa section of their website. But, I do not see any such news on Canadian Consulate websites. I have my visa interview next week in Vancouver. Please advice. 

*********************************************************************************************

News - 

The State Department's global database for issuing travel documents has crashed, resulting in major delays for potentially millions of people around the world waiting for U.S. passports and visas, officials said Wednesday.

Unspecified glitches in the department's Consular Consolidated Database have resulted in "significant performance issues, including outages" in the processing of applications for passports, visas and reports of Americans born abroad since Saturday, spokeswoman Marie Harf said. She said the problem is worldwide and not specific to any particular country, citizenship document, or visa category.

"We apologize to applicants and recognize this may cause hardship to applicants waiting on visas and passports. We are working to correct the issue as quickly as possible," she said.

Harf said the problems with the database have resulted in an "extensive backlog" of applications, which has, in turn, hampered efforts to get the system fully back on line.

It was not immediately clear how many people are affected, but two U.S. officials familiar with the situation said some 50,000 applicants were hit in one country alone. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly or identify the country.

The database is the State Department's system of record and is used to approve, record and print visas and other documents to ensure that national security checks are conducted on applicants."

I had my interview on July 24th and the officer said she has computer issues and cannot issue the visa on the same day. but asked me to track the status through Loomis. Looks like we all have to wait for a couple of more days to get the passport. 

Swatina, I had my interview on July 24th and waiting in Vancouver to receive the passport. As i have to extend my stay, I'm looking to share accommodation with a female next week (possibly near Richmond as Loomis is closeby). Please contact me at ************@gmail.com if you are willing to share/talk about options.Thanks!

Hi rtye,

I'm stuck in vancouver too. If interested, we can share the accommodation. Your email is masked in the above post. Can you share your contact information ? Or contact me by email(you can find my email address in my profile).

Thanks,

Lahari

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.html

As of July 27, the Department of State has made continued progress on restoring our system to full functionality. As we restore our ability to print visas, we are prioritizing immigrant cases, including adoptions visas. System engineers are performing maintenance to address the problems we encountered. As system performance improves, we will continue to process visas at U.S. Embassies and Consulates worldwide. We are committed to resolving the problem as soon as possible. Additional updates will be posted to travel.state.gov as more information becomes available.

Archived