UK visa requirement

gr82bak

I am in the US on an H-1B visa and wish to travel to the UK as a tourist on my way to India. I have an I-797 valid until 2016, but the visa stamp in my passport has expired. I will get a new US visa stamp while in India.

The official UK travel website says they need proof of legal stay in the country where you apply (for ex. visa, green card etc.), but when asked if a valid I-797 would be sufficient, they declined to answer, saying this is a personal case ! :)

Has anyone successfully applied for a UK visa under such circumstances? I don't want to waste the UK visa fees by having it rejected for lack of a valid US visa stamp.

I am in the US on an H-1B visa and wish to travel to the UK as a tourist on my way to India. I have an I-797 valid until 2016, but the visa stamp in my passport has expired. I will get a new US visa stamp while in India.

The official UK travel website says they need proof of legal stay in the country where you apply (for ex. visa, green card etc.), but when asked if a valid I-797 would be sufficient, they declined to answer, saying this is a personal case ! :)

Has anyone successfully applied for a UK visa under such circumstances? I don't want to waste the UK visa fees by having it rejected for lack of a valid US visa stamp.

To travel to UK as a visitor you need a visitor visa. Even if you have a valid H1B visa in your passport you cannot step on UK soil. A valid US visa is sufficient only to do a airside transit in UK.

To travel to UK as a visitor you need a visitor visa. Even if you have a valid H1B visa in your passport you cannot step on UK soil. A valid US visa is sufficient only to do a airside transit in UK.

Yes, I'm aware of that and that, in fact, is my question. I want to apply for a UK tourist visa, but like I said, my US H1 visa stamp is expired (I-797 is renewed, however). I don't know if that is acceptable in place of a valid visa stamp.

As it stands, without a valid H1 visa stamp, I cannot:

• Transit through UK to go to India to get the new stamp (ironic)
  • Apply for a UK tourist visa while I am in the US (even more ironic)

• Apply for a UK tourist visa while I am in the US (even more ironic)

I understand your point. The above point is wrong. You can apply for any visa to UK from US if you have a valid I797. I recently applied for a UK visa at British consulate, New York with my I797 and got it approved.

You will need a transit visa to transit via UK.

• 2 years later...

Hi, your response is confusing, did you apply for a tourist visa or transit visa. I am in a similar situation where I am going to travel to India via London and planning to apply a uk tourist visa. Planning to visit my brother in london for couple of days and then go to India to get visa stamped. I have my expired h1b visa and extension approval notice. Can I apply for a uk tourist visa?

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2014 at 11:55 AM, jairichi said:

I understand your point. The above point is wrong. You can apply for any visa to UK from US if you have a valid I797. I recently applied for a UK visa at British consulate, New York with my I797 and got it approved.

You will need a transit visa to transit via UK.

Hi - Cna you confirm if you sent the original I 797 or a photocopy while sending your documents to British Consulate, New York? I am in similar situation and trying to find out if i need to send the original I 797 or not.

thanks

Archived