F1 Visa extension

molecular biologist

Hello all,

I got my F1 visa in july, 2007 for masters in Cell and Molecular Biology. After two semesters I got admitted into PhD program in the same department. My F1 visa expired in 2012. I still have a valid I20 for my PhD. I am planning to go to india soon. I have few questions regarding extending my student visa. They are

1) Honestly, I am really nervous to attend visa interview. I am at the end of my program and can't afford a visa denial at this point. So what are the chances to get rejected?

2) What all documents should I be carrying? Any letters from my adviser or from the department?

3) Can I go during the semester (september or october)?

4) Some people studying in my field got a 221 g form before. How long will it take to get visa if I am given 221g?

I will really appreciate if you can answer my questions.

Thanks 

Hello all,

I got my F1 visa in july, 2007 for masters in Cell and Molecular Biology. After two semesters I got admitted into PhD program in the same department. My F1 visa expired in 2012. I still have a valid I20 for my PhD. I am planning to go to india soon. I have few questions regarding extending my student visa. They are

1) Honestly, I am really nervous to attend visa interview. I am at the end of my program and can't afford a visa denial at this point. So what are the chances to get rejected?

2) What all documents should I be carrying? Any letters from my adviser or from the department?

3) Can I go during the semester (september or october)?

4) Some people studying in my field got a 221 g form before. How long will it take to get visa if I am given 221g?

I will really appreciate if you can answer my questions.

Thanks 

1. No one can predict that.

2. Carry all documents you think are necessary.

3. Anytime.

4. I believe it is due to TAL. No specific timeline for administrative processing.

It is difficult to explain why you chose to be gone during the semester and have obligations to the university.

Once can always have a visa denied or put into additional review. There is no predicting how long 221g will take to be cleared.

I suggest you delay your travel.

Archived