H1 to H4 to H1 - Cap exempt?

satyadh

I am currently working on H1 in CA/Bay area. I am between projects and it looks I might take some time get my next project. So I need to go on loss of pay leave (if my company allows) or leave. So my question 
1. Can I switch to H4 (I can work out timing with my company so that I file H4 COS while my H1 is still active) and switch back to H1 at a later point in time (6 months down the lane), once I find a new job? 
Will I be counted as cap exempt when I file H1 at a later point? My company will revoke my H1 once I leave per their process. 

Thanks for your response

I am currently working on H1 in CA/Bay area. I am between projects and it looks I might take some time get my next project. So I need to go on loss of pay leave (if my company allows) or leave. So my question 

1. Can I switch to H4 (I can work out timing with my company so that I file H4 COS while my H1 is still active) and switch back to H1 at a later point in time (6 months down the lane), once I find a new job? 

Will I be counted as cap exempt when I file H1 at a later point? My company will revoke my H1 once I leave per their process. 

Thanks for your response

Yes, you can move to H4 and later when an employer is offering your a job a cap exempt H1B can be filed provided you have not reached the max of 6 years stay in US on H1B.

Archived