H4 to F1 Online Application Query

Swati Swaminathan

Hello,

I submitted an online application for change of status from H4 to F1 and found out that I had made a mistake on the part 4 of the form where I mentioned that I am filing for a status change dependent on the Principal Alien's non-immigrant status and gave details of my spouse as asked for in the next section. Looks like I should not have done that. However, I have already submitted the application and paid for it. It is under review now and I am worried if this could potentially cause any delay or issue in processing the application. Can you tell me if there is anything I could do to correct things from my end? Also, What could possibly be the repercussion of this mistake?

Hello,

I have started filling up online application for change of Status through Elis, i.e Form I-539 for H4 to F1. I have got few doubts stated below, please guide for same.

1) Reading blogs and after discussion  with advisor from school it seems that I need to provide my Husband paystubs,his I-94 and I-797 indicating his H1 status ,but am confused where do I upload these docs on Elis ? as there are only three sections named as Financial,Identity and Immigration and these sections ask about applicant details only

2) Where do I upload my marriage certificate?

3) Where do I upload a letter briefing my purpose of change of status?

4) Are you filing this benefit request for status based on a Principal Alien's nonimmigrant status?   

I think answer to question 4 would be "No",please let me know if am incorrect .

Eagerly awaiting for reply as I need to complete my application as soon as possible as I have already started it up few days back

Thanks in advance.

To Riddhi Shah,

All those documents that you mentioned need not be uploaded. You need to give just the information they require online. The forums and blogs you read may also be for paper filing of form i-539. Just upload what ever the application asks you for and do not worry about the rest. As long as you have the originals, you can produce whenever USCIS asks for it.

The asnwer for No. 4 question is No. I found out that the same form is used for conversion of status from F1 to H4 this section is meant for that.

Archived