student visa and parent

goodluck123

Hello,

I have a son who is 14 year old and currently studying in ninth grade back in India. If he chooses to do his associate degree in sciences from here he is required to clear some pre requisite courses. so i was thinking it will be better if he does his high school education from here itself rather then redoing the whole thing later.

So my questions are can he get a student visa at this age

and if he can then can i accompany him as a parent and work here to support him

Hello,

I have a son who is 14 year old and currently studying in ninth grade back in India. If he chooses to do his associate degree in sciences from here he is required to clear some pre requisite courses. so i was thinking it will be better if he does his high school education from here itself rather then redoing the whole thing later.

So my questions are can he get a student visa at this age

and if he can then can i accompany him as a parent and work here to support him

I do not know about your son but for you to work you need to have a work visa (H1B, L1A, L1B etc).

As a minor, he can not get a student visa.

And it would never be a reason for the parent to get a visa.

If you have a work visa for the US, e.g., an H1, then he can get an H4 as dependent and can go to highschool here.

An associates degree in science will not permit your son to work in the US on H1B.

Your desire for him to attend school in the US is illogical. Many international students complete secondary school in their home country and are successful in attending a US university for a bachelors degree.

Do you realize that tuition for a private high school exceeds that of many universities?

As a minor, he can not get a student visa.

And it would never be a reason for the parent to get a visa.

If you have a work visa for the US, e.g., an H1, then he can get an H4 as dependent and can go to highschool here.

It is incorrect to say that a Minor cannot get F1. 

A minor can and do get F1 visa for studying in a  Public High School (paying full unsubsidized fee)   OR Elementary through   High in a Private school.       

Children of rich and famous (the likes of Movie Actors, Industrialists etc.) from other countries do study in US

However,  you are right --  OP cannot use that for getting a permission to work in US.      OP should have enough fund to sponsor the education of his child.

For more info,  refer --

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment

"The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program"

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student.html

http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/k-12-students

"Local, state and federal tax revenue fund public schools. An F-1 student may attend an SEVP-certified public high school (grades nine through 12), with certain restrictions:"

"International students may apply for F-1 status to attend a private, SEVP-certified school for grades K-12"

You may also refer to numerous US embassy sites . 

Archived