COS J1 --> F1

arunvisa

Hello everyone,

I would like to change my status from J1 to F1. I have received a favorable recommendation from DOS regarding my NOS waiver but my final waiver is still pending with USCIS. Under these circumstances:

1. Can I now apply for change of status from J1 to F1 without final waiver from USCIS?

2. Can I start school while my change of status application is pending? I am on the J1 Professor and Research Scholar program. 

Thanks for your time,

Arun

Thanks jairichi for your response. My DSO says its ok to go and start school after submitting the application but I'm worried if I leave my J1 job and my COS application doesn't get approved within 30 days (grace period), I might go out of status and accrue illegal stay. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Thanks jairichi for your response. My DSO says its ok to go and start school after submitting the application but I'm worried if I leave my J1 job and my COS application doesn't get approved within 30 days (grace period), I might go out of status and accrue illegal stay. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

As long as a COS petition is pending with USCIS you are in valid status in US.

Archived