N-400 change to married name, GC and passport in maiden name

ihelp555

Hello Folks,

I am getting ready to file my N-400 and needed some guidance on how to handle name change for my wife.

Here is some bacground...

My wife has her GC, Passport, DL, SSN and all other documents in her maiden name.

When applying for her citizenship, she would like to change to using her married name.

Few question when filling in N-400 from people who are in the similar situation as to what are the correct answers.

1) In my (Husband's) N-400 what should I mention under my wife's Current legal name. Will it be her married name or the maiden name per her GC and other docs. Note that we want to use married name for her citizenship application.
(I would think it would be her married name since she can choose to use that name legally by law)

2) What will be my wife's legal married name here in US? Will it be <GIVEN NAME> <MARRIED LASTNAME> or I can use <GIVEN NAME> <HUSBANDS NAME> <MARRIED LASTNAME> as is the custom in my family.

3) In my wife's N-400 app. under her current legal name can she mention her married name and mention her maiden name as it appers on GC under "Your name exactly as it appears on permanent resident card"? Will this be enough for the naturalization cert to be issued in her married name or I will have to use the "Name change" section.

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

As part of the N-400, she can do a name change (except in some jurisdictions like San Francisco.)

Really easy to do, doesn't require anything special.

The US has no prescribed combination of names. She can just specify what she wants on the N-400.

I am aware that N-400 has a section for the applicant to change his/her legal name. The issue here is that in my wife's case she can legally use her married name if she chooses to do so for example when opening a bank account and all that she needs is to provide the marriage certificate as proof. Similarly she can change her DL and SSN today by providing the same marriage certificate. She does not need a legal change of name to use her married name.

My understanding is that the name change section in N-400 is for people who want do not have any similar legal basis to use a new name and would like to change it.

Given above I read somewhere that in situation where the GC is in maiden name, a woman can specify her married name under "Your current legal name" (Part 3, line 1) and then provide the exact name as on GC under "Your name exactly as it appears on your PR card" (Part 3, line 2), attach marriage cert and other supporting documents with the application and if needed explain the change during the interview. Not sure if this is correct and if anybody as actually done this successfully.

I am not an expert hence trying to understand if this will work.

I am aware that N-400 has a section for the applicant to change his/her legal name. The issue here is that in my wife's case she can legally use her married name if she chooses to do so for example when opening a bank account and all that she needs is to provide the marriage certificate as proof. Similarly she can change her DL and SSN today by providing the same marriage certificate. She does not need a legal change of name to use her married name.

My understanding is that the name change section in N-400 is for people who want do not have any similar legal basis to use a new name and would like to change it.

Given above I read somewhere that in situation where the GC is in maiden name, a woman can specify her married name under "Your current legal name" (Part 3, line 1) and then provide the exact name as on GC under "Your name exactly as it appears on your PR card" (Part 3, line 2), attach marriage cert and other supporting documents with the application and if needed explain the change during the interview. Not sure if this is correct and if anybody as actually done this successfully.

I am not an expert hence trying to understand if this will work.

The name change section is not just for people who have no other legal basis to change their name. People can always change their names, there is a legal process for it, in front of a court. Changing the name during naturalization is just an easy way, because the oath ceremony is presided by a judge and doubles as a court session (except for administrative oath ceremonies, which are done in some USCIS jurisdictions.)

The N-400 also has an entry about "other names used." If the person uses a married name, that's where that would have to be listed.

Archived