Marrying non-Indian national in India

tuxion

I am hoping that people here in Murthy.com would be able to help me with this. I am currently a Student in the US and wondering what is the procedure of marrying a non-Indian (non-US) national in India. I tried searching but found very little information about it online. I was wondering if anyone has any information about this or could point me in the correct direction would be really appreciated.

I tried searching but found very little information about it online.

doubt that..I know there is lot of info including posts by the people that went thru the process..google marrying foreigner in india and special marriage act india..

you need to notify your local marriage registrar a month in advance including all certificates and your fiance(e)'s certificates and a letter from their embassy/home country that the person is single..

there is 30 day minimum waiting period but if you don’t know the "other methods" or not willing for ethical reasons expect more waiting time..

congrats and goodluck!

• 3 weeks later...

doubt that..I know there is lot of info including posts by the people that went thru the process..google marrying foreigner in india and special marriage act india..

you need to notify your local marriage registrar a month in advance including all certificates and your fiance(e)'s certificates and a letter from their embassy/home country that the person is single..

there is 30 day minimum waiting period but if you don’t know the "other methods" or not willing for ethical reasons expect more waiting time..

congrats and goodluck!

Thanks for the information. I did find some information but nothing is clear, but it is not very clear what certificates are needed. I guess apart from a birth certificate and the certificate stating the person is single would be required. It is not clear if both us are required to be present when notifying the local registrar or can my parents do it. I did read the special marriage act and I also read about a residency requirement. I havent been to India in over 4 years. Does that mean I dont meet the residency requirement or do I need to be in India for 30 days before I can file for the intent of marriage.

Archived