Minimum credits to be taken per trimester to maintain F1 status in a Post professional course

pt279

Hi,

I am planning to take transitional( post- professional) Doctor of PT course from a university. It is a 1.5-2 yr course with fall,spring and summer trimesters. Whole course needs me to complete 25 credits with a fixed curriculum and 4-6 credits to be taken every trimester.

I am on H4 right now and intend to go on F1. I have a few questions.

1. Which one of these is better: go for F1 stamping(at a consulate in home country) or apply for COS? How long does it take for COS?

2. Can I maintain an international full-time student status on F-1 visa if I just take 4-6 credits (depending on what is offered and what I am required to take) a trimester? I am aware that in most graduate programs there's a requirement for an international student to take at least 9 credits per semester to maintain full-time status.

3. How is the eligibility for CPT counted in case of trimester system? Does the period of study on H4 count towards the one academic year in a SEVIS school for CPT considering the fact that it will be a continued education( no break between H4 anf F1)?

Thanks.

Are you confusing CPT and OPT?

For OPT, you have to have been enrolled fulltime in the program for one academic year. This "transitional" stuff is still a separate program, it just waives some courses.

And for an F1, you need to do fulltime studies, which means 9-12 credits.

1. Which one of these is better: go for F1 stamping(at a consulate in home country) or apply for COS? How long does it take for COS?

2. Can I maintain an international full-time student status on F-1 visa if I just take 4-6 credits (depending on what is offered and what I am required to take) a trimester? I am aware that in most graduate programs there's a requirement for an international student to take at least 9 credits per semester to maintain full-time status.

3. How is the eligibility for CPT counted in case of trimester system? Does the period of study on H4 count towards the one academic year in a SEVIS school for CPT considering the fact that it will be a continued education( no break between H4 anf F1)?

1. Either one is fine ,COS takes 3-4 months

2.On F1 you need to take min of 9 credits per semester

3.CPT/OPT is part of F1, so period of study on H4 will not be counted.

Is this course geared towards people currently working and going to school part time or to full time students?

Some schools have programs specifically for someone who is working and thus schedules fewer hours per sem/trimester. Schools on trimester do different things with the way they count credits, Some have a semester hour equivalent others use their own method.

I find it unusual that a degree would require only 25 credits ; that seems low unless there is a master's type program also. Looking at several recognized schools, they are talking about SHs of more than 100  and 3 to 4 years to complete the program and internships and course loads ranging from 9 to 19 SH per semester. The internships are likely unpaid and are listed as courses not just time to utilize pre-OPT or CPT.

Have you reviewed the information from the American Physical Therapy Association and the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. I suggest you check these websites to check out your program and do a lot of research on how the requirements on you meet the licensing requirements in the state you plan to work in . There are too many institutions that take advantage of students.

Degree accreditation may specify the number of contact hours required and the school would then convert this to their time accounting scheme. Your program requirements seem very low.

Is this course geared towards people currently working and going to school part time or to full time students?

Some schools have programs specifically for someone who is working and thus schedules fewer hours per sem/trimester. Schools on trimester do different things with the way they count credits, Some have a semester hour equivalent others use their own method.

I find it unusual that a degree would require only 25 credits ; that seems low unless there is a master's type program also. Looking at several recognized schools, they are talking about SHs of more than 100  and 3 to 4 years to complete the program and internships and course loads ranging from 9 to 19 SH per semester. The internships are likely unpaid and are listed as courses not just time to utilize pre-OPT or CPT.

Have you reviewed the information from the American Physical Therapy Association and the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. I suggest you check these websites to check out your program and do a lot of research on how the requirements on you meet the licensing requirements in the state you plan to work in . There are too many institutions that take advantage of students.

Degree accreditation may specify the number of contact hours required and the school would then convert this to their time accounting scheme. Your program requirements seem very low.

Yes, this course is offered to physical therapists who are already licensed in USA, and are working. It is mostly online with few credits to be taken at the university. Hence, it allows flexibility. But since I am on H-4 visa and have a PT license for a couple states in the US, there's no need for me to enrol in entry-level DPT. I want to change my status to F-1 so that I can at least go out of my house - maybe, work on campus for some time and then gain valuable experience at a hospital on CPT, before eventually working full-time. So, the question is, for such a course, can I get a student visa, and then maintain my full-time status?

This is what I found on the APTA website:

Postprofessional PT education programs are not accredited by CAPTE, which accredits only professional (entry-level) programs. In most cases, quality is ensured, however, by the facts that rigorous standards are applied to higher-education institutions by regional accrediting agencies, and by CAPTE to professional (entry-level) programs that offer postprofessional DPT programs. The vast majority of postprofessional DPT programs are located at institutions of higher education that have professional (entry-level) DPT programs that are CAPTE accredited, and at which regional accreditation of graduate programs is recognized by the US Department of Education (USDE) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

Yes, this course is offered to physical therapists who are already licensed in USA, and are working. It is mostly online with few credits to be taken at the university. Hence, it allows flexibility. But since I am on H-4 visa and have a PT license for a couple states in the US, there's no need for me to enrol in entry-level DPT. I want to change my status to F-1 so that I can at least go out of my house - maybe, work on campus for some time and then gain valuable experience at a hospital on CPT, before eventually working full-time. So, the question is, for such a course, can I get a student visa, and then maintain my full-time status?

This is what I found on the APTA website:

Postprofessional PT education programs are not accredited by CAPTE, which accredits only professional (entry-level) programs. In most cases, quality is ensured, however, by the facts that rigorous standards are applied to higher-education institutions by regional accrediting agencies, and by CAPTE to professional (entry-level) programs that offer postprofessional DPT programs. The vast majority of postprofessional DPT programs are located at institutions of higher education that have professional (entry-level) DPT programs that are CAPTE accredited, and at which regional accreditation of graduate programs is recognized by the US Department of Education (USDE) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

First of all, you can't do online studies on F1.

Second, the F1 is for fulltime studying.

I feel you would be better served by a full time program on campus. Look at your local medical school as that is where you are likely to find associated programs. Remember too that F1 limits the number of online classes per semester.  No matter what you choose, make sure the institution offers the accredited into level degree. The "regional" accreditation criteria is not as good, IMO. Make sure the institution has a good reputation. Someone already employed going for an advanced degree will not be judged as harshly as a potential employee so you need the reputation of a really good school behind your degree.

If you have licensure in the state in which you live, look for a non-profit qualifying for non-quota H1B sponsorship. If you just want to get out of the house, consider volunteering for a school for handicapped children. While you cannot work as a PT, you would be an asset as a general volunteer with the children and it might lead to a full time job offer with your current credentials. Look at the local VA hospital and veterans homes as well. I know the government has openings for allied health professionals; I so not know the visa status required.

It is doubtful, in my opinion, that the number of credit hours possible per semester with the program you describe is sufficient to maintain a fulltime status. However a check with the DSO will let you have a definitive answer.

I feel you would be better served by a full time program on campus. Look at your local medical school as that is where you are likely to find associated programs. Remember too that F1 limits the number of online classes per semester.  No matter what you choose, make sure the institution offers the accredited into level degree. The "regional" accreditation criteria is not as good, IMO. Make sure the institution has a good reputation. Someone already employed going for an advanced degree will not be judged as harshly as a potential employee so you need the reputation of a really good school behind your degree.

If you have licensure in the state in which you live, look for a non-profit qualifying for non-quota H1B sponsorship. If you just want to get out of the house, consider volunteering for a school for handicapped children. While you cannot work as a PT, you would be an asset as a general volunteer with the children and it might lead to a full time job offer with your current credentials. Look at the local VA hospital and veterans homes as well. I know the government has openings for allied health professionals; I so not know the visa status required.

It is doubtful, in my opinion, that the number of credit hours possible per semester with the program you describe is sufficient to maintain a fulltime status. However a check with the DSO will let you have a definitive answer.

Thanks for your response !

This transitional course at every university in the US has about 25 credits and the course runs for 1.5-2 years. The school I am looking to join does give out I-20 for this particular course.The fact that they give out I-20 means they allow international students to attend this couse. Given that an international student coming to the US on an F-1 visa would not have any other job, there has to be a way for them to maintain full-time status for this course. My understanding is that 9 credits per semester are required to maintain full-time status. This school has three trimesters a year, with 4-6 credits each trimester, which would make my tally to 15 credits a year. That is just 3 credits less than what is required. Can I maintain full-time status if I take 15 credits per year? If I can, when do I become eligible for CPT/OPT?

I would not need to post these questions here if the DSO knew how this worked, but strangely, they don't. The international office is trying to find this out too.

Unfortunately, most hospitals which offer volunteering need SSN to even begin the process of hiring you. And since I don't have it, that's not an option for me. I have looked around but couldn't find any non-cap H-1B providers. If you know any, please let me know. It would be really helpful.

If the DSO cannot answer this very important question, I'd question the competency of the rest of the faculty and staff.  Is this a public or private school?

You have an ITIN which in many cases an appropriate substitute for an SSN. In all likelihood they are looking to do a criminal background check which would be on the basis of the SSN.  Inquire to determine if that is the case and if a PCC for times prior to your entry would be an appropriate substitute.

Research the requirements to work for a Native American health care facility if there is one in your area. I know tribes have special legal requirements but have never looked at immigration law in regard to them, I do know that they are in need of medical professionals in many of their facilities which are often in remote places.

Before you enroll in this program, look at it very closely. There are many so called universities that take advantage of both US and international students for the money. If it is the only option for the degree in your area and it is questionable, you would be better off taking entry for a different but complementary degree that would benefit you long term (business, etc.)

Archived