Grace period for OPT-STEM students

tanmayee

Hi,

I wanted to know if there is a grace period for those whose OPT STEM will expire soon. Following is my situation. My OPT STEM will be done by October 31st. I have applied for H1 in this April, but it did not get picked in the lottery.

Do I have a grace period after October 31st to change my status or to shift back to F1 to join another college in Spring starting January? I heard there is a 60 day grace period generally?

Hi,

I wanted to know if there is a grace period for those whose OPT STEM will expire soon. Following is my situation. My OPT STEM will be done by October 31st. I have applied for H1 in this April, but it did not get picked in the lottery.

Do I have a grace period after October 31st to change my status or to shift back to F1 to join another college in Spring starting January? I heard there is a 60 day grace period generally?

You get a 60 day grace period.

Hi,

I don't know about changing to other status, but if you want to continue being in F1 status, apply for colleges for Spring 2015 and get an approval letter. After that ask your ISO to release SEVIS after October 31st. Releasing SEVIS before October 31st would terminate your OPT. Also, do not work after October 31. Enjoy your time-off after October 31 and before start of spring semester. 

IMO, you are better off going home and getting work experience than another degree that you would not want had you been selected for H1B. After all, you stated you do not have immigrant intent; remaining in the US by taking degree after degree contradicts that statement you made. If you are selected next year, will you finish the degree? What happens if you are not selected for H1B next year? Are you going to register for still another degree?

A US degree was NEVER a guarantee of a US job.

Archived