Second Masters in F1 . Legal time of stay after quitting a H1B job

Sindhuja.Narasimhan

I have an admit for Fall 2014 from a University for a Second Masters Degree. I am currently working in the 2nd yr of my H1B. I plan to quit my job and leave to my home country to get my F1 (Student) visa stamped. However since my school is going to be in a different state, I want to stay in the US for about 10 days after I quit so that I can set things up and organize my move(Since schools do not allow students to come to the US about a month before the degree start date, I wanted to use this time to meet with a few professors about my research areas and get a head start) . Is this allowed? Will it cause any issues with my new F1 visa, as I have stayed for 10 days after I quit my job. Please advice

• 2 weeks later...

I have spoken to the professor I intend to talk with. Is a 10 day period after quitting my job allowed or is it considered an overstay. I plan to return to India on the 10th day and get my f1 stamped as it is quicker than a COS. I dont want to be running into overstay issues. Please lemme know ur thoughts

There is NO grace period when quitting an H1 job. ZERO days.

Technically there is no grace period after you quit your H1 job.   Practically ,  10 days  of illegal presence is unlikely to  cause any major issue.  If you want to  200%  certain ,  file a COS to B1  as of last day of H1  .  You would exit US before any decision on your B1 is made but you will not accrue illegal presence

Technically there is no grace period after you quit your H1 job.   Practically ,  10 days  of illegal presence is unlikely to  cause any major issue.  If you want to  200%  certain ,  file a COS to B1  as of last day of H1  .  You would exit US before any decision on your B1 is made but you will not accrue illegal presence

There is NO grace period. Not even "practically."

I made one mistake --   you will NOT accrue illegal presence for those 10 days ... you will be out of status.  Though both are against the law,  consequences of illegal (unlawful) presence are more severe including a ban for 3 year (for over 180 days illegal presence) /10 year (for over1 year of illegal presence).  

Archived