Do I need a B-1 Visa?

anand.sandesh

All - I am in an interesting position.

1. I am currently in India, but WFH for an American company (moved back recently from the US). However, I will be quitting and starting working at my own firm starting 6/13. 

2. While I work for my own firm, my ex employer is going to be my biggest client and they want me to visit the US for meetings from 7/10-7/15.

A couple of questions here:

1. Given that I am traveling after my last day as an employee, would I need a B-1 visa to travel?

2. If the answer to the above question is yes, would I have any issues getting a B-1 Visa? Note that my former employer will give me a letter inviting me for those days. They will also pay for my trip and stay. However, I am worried since my new company will not have any income when I go for my Visa interview. However, I have enough funds to support myself in the US if needed. I can show bank account balance and FDs as proof.

Thanks in advance!

All - I am in an interesting position.

1. I am currently in India, but WFH for an American company (moved back recently from the US). However, I will be quitting and starting working at my own firm starting 6/13. 

2. While I work for my own firm, my ex employer is going to be my biggest client and they want me to visit the US for meetings from 7/10-7/15.

A couple of questions here:

1. Given that I am traveling after my last day as an employee, would I need a B-1 visa to travel?

2. If the answer to the above question is yes, would I have any issues getting a B-1 Visa? Note that my former employer will give me a letter inviting me for those days. They will also pay for my trip and stay. However, I am worried since my new company will not have any income when I go for my Visa interview. However, I have enough funds to support myself in the US if needed. I can show bank account balance and FDs as proof.

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes.

2. Talk to a good immigration attorney.

Archived