OPT STEM extension during cap gap

anu2k012

I work for major automotive company. My OPT expires on 07/9/2014 and my H1-B got picked up this year and received an RFE on May 29, 2014. The reason for RFE is yet to be known. Since my H1-B is under processing, I received a cap gap till September 30, 2014.  My Attorney suggested to apply for my OPT Stem extension just as a backup plan. I have couple of questions in this regard.

1.) Can I apply for the OPT stem extension in the current situation?

2.) If yes, which will be my opt expiration date (July 9, 2014 or September 30, 2014)?

As I am only eligible to apply for stem extension 90 days prior to expiration, I wanted to know if I have to shoot the application now for July 9, 2014 deadline or wait for September 30, 2014. I appreciate if you could reply ASAP.

Regards,

Anu.

I work for major automotive company. My OPT expires on 07/9/2014 and my H1-B got picked up this year and received an RFE on May 29, 2014. The reason for RFE is yet to be known. Since my H1-B is under processing, I received a cap gap till September 30, 2014.  My Attorney suggested to apply for my OPT Stem extension just as a backup plan. I have couple of questions in this regard.

2.) If yes, which will be my opt expiration date (July 9, 2014 or September 30, 2014)?

As I am only eligible to apply for stem extension 90 days prior to expiration, I wanted to know if I have to shoot the application now for July 9, 2014 deadline or wait for September 30, 2014. I appreciate if you could reply ASAP.

Regards,

Anu.

I would suggest you to upgrade H1B processing to PP. In this way you get to know a decision within 15 calendar days and prepare accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Regards,

Anu.

I am in same boat... After i read this i have decided to apply for STEM Ext. But any way check with your DSO once also

http://www.murthy.com/2014/04/30/eligible-students-should-request-stem-opt-extension/

• 3 weeks later...

Please approach your respective DSO to get new I-20 issued (for STEM Extn.) to cover the remaining duration of 17 months. You may need to get a letter from your employer confirming that you indeed working in the 'related field of your major' and on paid employment for STEM Extn.  

Don't upgrade H1 to PP as it will unnecessary will cost u $1225 when u r eligible to get STEM Extn. as a back-up plan. 

I assume that ur H1 must be filed as COS (Change of Status). Hence, if all went well, ur H1 will get approved and u can start on H1 from Oct. 1, 14. Don't forget to remind ur employer to update your I-9 form (Sec. C) with H1 details.

Archived