Is it advisable to amend H1b application selected in lottery from CP to COS. If so, right away or after H1b CP petition approval

chithu77

My 2015 H1b application filed as consular processing has been selected in the lottery and currently under USCIS processing. 

I came to US a couple of days before Apr 1, 2014 on H4 to spend a few months with the intention of going back to home country in June. Now I am thinking of continuing stay in US on H4 until Sep and resume job on H1 from Oct onwards. Since my H1b application is selected and currently under processing, can I right away ask my employer to convert the CP application to COS from H4 to H1 OR should I wait until H1 CP application is first approved and then do a change of status from H4 to H1.

Which of the two options 1) is cost-effective 2) has greater approval chance, please advise.

My 2015 H1b application filed as consular processing has been selected in the lottery and currently under USCIS processing. 

I came to US a couple of days before Apr 1, 2014 on H4 to spend a few months with the intention of going back to home country in June. Now I am thinking of continuing stay in US on H4 until Sep and resume job on H1 from Oct onwards. Since my H1b application is selected and currently under processing, can I right away ask my employer to convert the CP application to COS from H4 to H1 OR should I wait until H1 CP application is first approved and then do a change of status from H4 to H1.

Which of the two options 1) is cost-effective 2) has greater approval chance, please advise.

Your new employer can request COS after H1B approval. 

I do not think your employer will file COS as he has to pay H1B fee again. You will need to exit and enter US with a valid H1B visa and I797.

Archived