H1B - f1 Overlap

4e3djk

Hi

I recently changed my status from h1b to f1. My f1 notice (i797) arrived in the mail on May 1, thursday. I was then working in my company on h1b. The notice however said that my cos effective date was April 28, Monday. My employment was terminated ASAP on May 2, Fri. So I now have an overlap of 5 days during which I was working but my f1 was approved and the notice was in the mail. Currently, I have started my studies on f1. My company's legal counsel told me that this overlap is OK since it's a short period but I wanted to ask experts if there is anything I can do about it ? Would appreciate your advice.

ps: In my application for cos, I had requested that my COS be effective from MAy 12 so that I could resign on May 9 and smoothly transition over. For some reason, uscis overlooked that request.

Hi

I recently changed my status from h1b to f1. My f1 notice (i797) arrived in the mail on May 1, thursday. I was then working in my company on h1b. The notice however said that my cos effective date was April 28, Monday. My employment was terminated ASAP on May 2, Fri. So I now have an overlap of 5 days during which I was working but my f1 was approved and the notice was in the mail. Currently, I have started my studies on f1. My company's legal counsel told me that this overlap is OK since it's a short period but I wanted to ask experts if there is anything I can do about it ? Would appreciate your advice.

ps: In my application for cos, I had requested that my COS be effective from MAy 12 so that I could resign on May 9 and smoothly transition over. For some reason, uscis overlooked that request.

You are fine and nothing to worry.

Archived