Eligibility for H4 in-state tuition

aparnarsk

Hi,

I have an admit to an university in Virginia and my term starts from September 2014. I got married and came to the US in Feb, 2014 on F2. My husband's H1B just got approved and is going to be valid from October 2014.

What i would like to know is whether i would be eligible for in state tuition if i defer my admission to spring 2015? Technically it wouldn't be a year since i came to the Virginia, but my husband has been living here since September 2012.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Aparna

First, is that a public university?

Private universities can set their tuition policies any way they like. The top-level private universities (Stanford and the like) usually don't make a distinction between foreign and domestic students.

For public universities, each state can make their own rules. Some states allow in-state tuition for people in states like H4 if they have lived in the state for a certain amount of time, usually one year, some states don't.

Check with the registrar's office at the university.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

thank you for your reply...yes it is a public university...

i checked with the registrar office and they are saying that i need to establish a virginia domicile in order to get in state tuition....the term starts on Jan 21st and i complete one year in Virgnia on Feb 13th....so looks like im not gonna get in state tuition...!

Hi,

thank you for your reply...yes it is a public university...

i checked with the registrar office and they are saying that i need to establish a virginia domicile in order to get in state tuition....the term starts on Jan 21st and i complete one year in Virgnia on Feb 13th....so looks like im not gonna get in state tuition...!

You should be able to get in-state tuition for the following quarter/semester then.

Archived